Re: Restoring a database restores to unexpected tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: Restoring a database restores to unexpected tablespace
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/10/19 2:56 AM, Alex Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction for this issue we are having -- our goal is to dump a database that is
currentlyon a tablespace named data2 that we want to restore on the same server but on tablespace pg_default -- we
triedother ways like:

> ALTER DATABASE "[database_name]" SET default_tablespace = [new_tablespace];
> alter table all in tablespace data2 set tablespace pg_default;
>
> But we want to try it with a pgdump/psql.
>
> To reproduce on our end (Server 9.5):
>
> 1. create new database for the restore with the tablespace as pg_default
>
> 2. Dump the source database (currently on data2 tablespace) with the following command:
> sudo -u postgres pg_dump mydatabase --no-owner --no-tablespaces | gzip  > mydatabase.gz
>
> 3. Restore the database with this command:
> zcat /var/backup/db/mydatabase.gz |         sudo -H -u postgres         psql --quiet -e -c 'SET default_tablespace =
pg_default;'-f - mydatabase_test > /tmp/mydatabase_test.log

> What happens during the restore is that all tables are created on data2, not pg_default.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This should work.

Double-check each step to make sure nothing has been missed out somewhere, e.g.
in step 2 you create mydatabase.gz in the current working directory but in step 3 restore it
from an absolute filepath, which is a common cause of errors.

Also maybe try dumping an individual table definition (pg_dump --schema-only --table=sometablename ...) and check
exactly what's being dumped and how it gets restored.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
  Ian Barwick                   https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/