Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/18/2016 03:45 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Let's take the opportunity and also move src/backend/libpq/ip.c and md5.c
>> into src/common. It would be weird to have sha.c in src/common, but md5.c in
>> src/backend/libpq. Looking at ip.c, it could be split into two: some of the
>> functions in ip.c are clearly not needed in the client, like enumerating all
>> interfaces.
>
> It would be definitely better to do all that before even moving sha.c.

Agreed.

> For the current ip.c, I don't have a better idea than putting in
> src/common/ip.c the set of routines used by both the frontend and
> backend, and have fe_ip.c the new file that has the frontend-only
> things. Need a patch?

Yes, please. I don't think there's anything there that's needed by only
the frontend, but some of the functions are needed by only the backend.
So I think we'll end up with src/common/ip.c, and
src/backend/libpq/be-ip.c. (Not sure about those names, pick something
that makes sense, given what's left in the files.)

- Heikki