Re: Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Steele
Subject Re: Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/26/19 3:59 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

>     I am really questioning if we should keep this stuff isolated within
>     pg_basebackup or not.  At the same time, it may be confusing to have
>     BASE_BACKUP only use the permissions inherited from the data
>     directory, so some input from folks maintaining an external backup
>     tool is welcome.
>

> That would be good to hear what other external backup tool authors
> think of this change.

I'm OK with the -g (inherit|none|group) option as implemented.  I prefer
the default as it is (inherit), which makes sense since I wrote it that way.

Having BASE_BACKUP set the permissions inside the tar file seems OK as
well.  I'm not aware of any external solutions that are using the
replication protocol directly - I believe they all use pg_basebackup, so
I don't think they would need to change anything.

Having said that, I think setting permissions is a pretty trivial thing
to do and there are plenty of possible scenarios that are still not
covered here.  I have no objections to the patch but it seems like overkill.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net