Re: Replication Syatem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gauri Kanekar
Subject Re: Replication Syatem
Date
Re: Replication Syatem
List pgsql-performance

Basically we have some background process which updates "table1" and we don't want the application to make any changes to "table1" while vacuum.

Vacuum requires exclusive lock on "table1" and if any of the background or application is ON vacuum don't kick off. Thats the reason we need to get the site down.

~ Gauri

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
meetgaurikanekar@gmail.com ("Gauri Kanekar") writes:
> We have a table "table1" which get insert and updates daily in high
> numbers, bcoz of which its size is increasing and we have to vacuum
> it every alternate day. Vacuuming "table1" take almost 30min and
> during that time the site is down.  We need to cut down on this
> downtime.So thought of having a replication system, for which the
> replicated DB will be up during the master is getting vacuumed.  Can
> anybody guide which will be the best suited replication solution for
> this.

The only reason that it would be necessary for VACUUM to "take the
site down" would be if you are running version 7.1, which was
obsoleted in 2002, which, it should be noted, was SIX YEARS AGO.

As has been noted, you seem to be presupposing a remarkably complex
solution to resolve a problem which is likely to be better handled via
running VACUUM rather more frequently.
--
output = reverse("ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html