Re: PANIC: could not flush dirty data: Cannot allocate memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

Subject Re: PANIC: could not flush dirty data: Cannot allocate memory
Date
Re: PANIC: could not flush dirty data: Cannot allocate memory  (Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>)
Re: PANIC: could not flush dirty data: Cannot allocate memory  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-general
Thanks all for digging into this problem.

AFAIU the problem is not related to the memory settings in
postgresql.conf. It is the kernel that
for whatever reasons report ENOMEM. Correct?

Am 2022-11-14 22:54, schrieb Christoph Moench-Tegeder:

>> On several servers we see the error message: PANIC:  could not flush
>> dirty data: Cannot allocate memory
>
> As far as I can see, that "could not flush dirty data" happens total
> three times in the code - there are other places where postgresql could
> PANIC on fsync()-and-stuff-related issues, but they have different
> messages.
> Of these three places, there's an sync_file_range(), an posix_fadvise()
> and an msync(), all in src/backend/storage/file/fd.c. "Cannot allocate
> memory" would be ENOMEM, which posix_fadvise() does not return (as per
> it's docs). So this would be sync_file_range(), which could run out
> of memory (as per the manual) or msync() where ENOMEM actually means
> "The indicated memory (or part of it) was not mapped". Both cases are
> somewhat WTF for this setup.
> What filesystem are you running?

Filesystem is ext4. VM technology is mixed: VMware, KVM and XEN PV.
Kernel is 5.15.0-52-generic.

We have not seen this with Ubutnu 18.04 and 20.04 (although we might not
have noticed it).

I guess upgrading to postgresql 13/14/15 does not help as the problem
happens in the kernel.

Do you have any advice how to go further? Shall I lookout for certain
kernel changes? In the kernel itself or in ext4 changelog?

Thanks
Klaus