[HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject [HACKERS] drop support for Python 2.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I would like to propose that we drop support for Python 2.3.  Reasons:

- Python 3.6 was released in December.  The list of versions we need to
manage is growing.

- Older Python versions are increasingly hard to build locally for testing.

- It's unlikely that Python 2.3 is still used in practice.  Python 2.4
is in RHEL 5, which is the typically the oldest mainstream OS we look at.

- We could remove some cruft from the code.

We do have buildfarm coverage on prairiedog.  However, that runs a >10
year old operating system, so I think it is not representing real usage.

Patch attached.