Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 11, 2022, at 8:04 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 7:34 AM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:

> The reason to use text format is that it is error prone. There are restrictions
> while using the binary format. For example, if your schema has different data
> types for a certain column, the copy will fail.

Won't such restrictions hold true even during replication?
I expect that the COPY code matches the proto.c code. The point is that table
sync is decoupled from the logical replication. Hence, we should emphasize in
the documentation that the restrictions *also* apply to the initial table
synchronization.

--
Euler Taveira