1.8-Beta5 Bug: sequence properties dialog produces wrong sql statement order - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Horvath Gabor
Subject 1.8-Beta5 Bug: sequence properties dialog produces wrong sql statement order
Date
List pgadmin-support
pgAdminIII v1.8-Beta5
Windows XP
PostgreSQL 8.1, linux

I tried to adjust the Minimum value in the properties dialog of a sequence.
I wanted to adjust the range so that the present current value would
have fallen out of it, so I changed the current value too.
...In vain, because the SQL batch composed by the dialog shows that
the ALTER SEQUENCE ... MINVALUE .... statement comes first, and the
SELECT setval(....) comes only after that.
As expected, an error message popped up saying the minimum can't be
higher than the current value when I pressed OK.

Example:
Minvalue: 1 --> 50
Current value: 1--> 55
Maxvalue: 60

Correct SQL batch would look like this:
select setval('my_schema.my_seq', 55, true);
alter sequence my_seq minvalue 50;

However, what I get is this (wrong):
alter sequence my_seq minvalue 50;
select setval('my_schema.my_seq', 55, true);

Of course the general solution should be trickier than this example
shows, because of the cases like
Minvalue: 1 --> 100
Current value: 5 --> 500
Maxvalue: 10 --> 900

In this case, we need three SQL statements:
alter sequence my_seq maxvalue 900;
select setval('my_schema.my_seq', 500, true);
alter sequence my_seq minvalue 100;

I guess the general ordering of the statements should be as follows:
1 Any ALTER SEQUENCE MIN/MAXVALUE statements that widen the range
2 SETVAL
3 Any ALTER SEQUENCE MIN/MAXVALUE statements that narrow the range.

I wanted to adjust the minvalue of lots of sequences whose current
value was below the would-be minvalue, so it was a bit frustrating I
had to do each in two steps. Might be worth the effort to fix. Thanks
in advance. PgAdminIII 1.8 is great otherwise - and evolving really
quickly.

Regards,

HG