Re: vacuum is failing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject Re: vacuum is failing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:30:43 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
> > ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this?
>
> Shut down whatever long-running transaction is hanging around in the
> background.  You wouldn't be getting this error if vacuum weren't
> trying to move a chain of updated tuples, and that can only happen
> if there's an old transaction someplace.
>
> Of course, the real fix is to use a newer Postgres.  I note this in
> the 7.2.4 CVS logs:

>         * src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c (REL7_2_STABLE): Back-patch
>         fixes to ensure t_ctid always has correct value (prevents some
>         instances of 'No one parent tuple' VACUUM error, and perhaps worse
>         things).

Thanks Tom.  I should have googled first, cause this seems to have
come up alot before 7.2.4 was released.  I'll schedule some down time
and see if running vacuum fixes this (temporarily).  Getting
postgresql upgraded might require an act of $DEITY *sigh*

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org