Re: could not open relation - why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: could not open relation - why?
Date
List pgsql-general
> 2006-08-07 13:20:27 LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "template1"
> 2006-08-07 13:20:47 ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 311438
> 2006-08-07 13:21:52 LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "postgres"

The easiest explanation is that someone dropped a table just as
autovacuum was trying to open it.

I am not quite sure that "autovacuum" was trying to open, as some user reported the same error on his system ( and he is definitely not mr. Autovacuum :)

>The above trace suggests that
you're actively changing template1, which is probably not good
practice ...
Not even in my wildest dreams would I dare to actively change template1. Amd the database users in question do not have permissions on template1; so I am quite confident no wrongrunning software does it.

What indeed happens alot in this database is the creation and the dropping of temp tables (the later automagically at the end of a connection, I assume)

Is there a way to learn to which dropped table OIDs belong, or is all gone after dropping and autovacuum ?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare