High Availability / Replication with Sequoia - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mr.Frog.to.you@googlemail.com
Subject High Availability / Replication with Sequoia
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Guys,

I have been testing / working with Postgres for a work project, and so
far I am really impressed with this DB system. Takes a little getting
used to, but I am really beginning to love it.

I am looking now at a scenario that does not seem to be a native
ability of Postgres, but might possibly be overcome with Sequoia. I am
hoping that there exists the possibility of using Sequoia to replicate
a DB between / among a number of machines in the office, some of which
are not always connected to the lan.

The scenario is like this..... On each of the machines I would want to
have Postgres installed and only to accepting connections from the
local machine. Also on each of these machines would be running Tomcat
or similar hosting the required application (app to connect to local
Postgres installation). Sequoia would then be used as a form of
replication from machine to machine to ensure that the database is
kept up to date.

The application does not allow writeback to the db, so for all intents
and purposes you can consider it read only.

To keep the applications database up to date with new information I
would be using ETL applications like Spoon / PDI. This will be done to
an as yet undecided 'point of origin', but it is probably safe to say
that it will be a commercial db server somewhere on our network. The
latency from our network to the 'Data Warehouse' (read as badly
managed dogs breakfast) is huge. Suffice to say the desire for local
db's is high, as is the desire to make the application portable for
our sometimes connected laptop users.

Does anyone have any experience or comments that they would like to
share about this sort of scenario? Its a fairly big jump from just
having Postgres running on my laptop for dev purposes to pushing this
to multiple machines and I would really appreciate any feedback you
guys might have.

Thanks in advance

The Frog