Re: Errors when trying to use git.postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: Errors when trying to use git.postgresql
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> Afterward though, yes, I do run gc occasionally, though I haven't
> tried --aggressive yet.

Oh, okay -- I just thought it was because you put the ulimit change in
your .profile that you needed it permanently to keep things
rolling. After the first gc (which I think should have repacked
everything into one file) the 'ulimit -n' change should be obsolete.

'--aggressive' will take minutes to an hour if you have packed all the
packs together before so that the 'counting objects' phase doesn't
take forever. It should result in substantial repository size
reduction, presuming you have delta chains similar to that in the
git.postgresql.org repository.

My '.git' directory is 110M in total, for reference.

fdr