Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/16/17 11:10, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I concur at this point. I originally thought hash functions might be
> made portable, but I think Tom and Andres showed that to be too
> problematic -- the issue with different encodings is the real killer.

I think it would be OK that if you want to move a hash-partitioned table
to a database with a different encoding, you have to do dump/restore
through the parent table.  This is quite similar to what you have to do
now if you want to move a range-partitioned table to a database with a
different locale.