Re: Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jesper Krogh
Subject Re: Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Naturally, there are other compression and delta encoding schemes.  Does
> anyone feel the need to explore further alternatives?
>
> We might eventually find the need for multiple, user-selectable, WAL
> compression strategies.  I don't recommend taking that step yet.

my currently implemented compression strategy is to run the wal block through gzip in the archive command. compresses
prettynicely and achieved 50%+ in my workload (generally closer to 70)

on a multi core system it will take more cpu time but on a different core and not have any effect on tps.

General compression should probably only be applied if it have positive gain on tps you could.

Jesper