Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Imseih (AWS), Sami
Subject Re: [BUG] pg_stat_statements and extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I wonder that this patch changes the meaning of "calls" in the pg_stat_statement
> view a bit; previously it was "Number of times the statement was executed" as
> described in the documentation, but currently this means "Number of times the
> portal was executed". I'm worried that this makes users confused. For example,
> a user may think the average numbers of rows returned by a statement is given by
> rows/calls, but it is not always correct because some statements could be executed
> with multiple portal runs.

I don't think it changes the meaning of "calls" in pg_stat_statements, since every
time the app fetches X amount of rows from a portal, it's still done in a separate
execution, and thus a separate call.

I agree, the meaning of "calls" should be clarified in docs.

Regards,

Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services (AWS)