Re: Hardware: HP StorageWorks MSA 1500 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mikael Carneholm
Subject Re: Hardware: HP StorageWorks MSA 1500
Date
List pgsql-performance
>My server is the HP DL585 (quad, dual-core Opteron, 16GB RAM) with 4 HD
bays run by a HP SmartArray 5i controller.  I have 15 10K 300GB >drives
and 1 15K 150GB drive (don't ask how that happened).

Our server will be a DL385 (dual, dual-core Opteron, 16Gb RAM), and the
28 disks(10K 146Gb)in the MSA1500 will probably be set up in SAME
configuration (Stripe All, Mirror Everything). Still to be decided
though. I'll post both pgbench and BenchmarkSQL
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/benchmarksql) results here as soon as
we have the machine set up. OS+log(not WAL) will recide on directly
attached disks, and all heavy reading+writing will be taken care of by
the MSA.

Not sure how much of the cache module that will be used for reads, but
as our peak write load is quite high we'll probably use at least half of
it for writes (good write performance is pretty much the key for the
application in question)

>How would/do you guys set up your MSA1x00 with 1 drive sled?  RAID10 vs
>RAID5 across 10+ disks?

Since it's a datawarehouse type of application, you'd probably optimize
for large storage capacity and read (rather than write) performance, and
in that case I guess raid5 could be considered, at least. Depends very
much on reliability requirements though - raid5 performs much worse than
raid10 in degraded mode (one disk out). Here's an interesting read
regarding raid5 vs raid10 (NOT very pro-raid5 :) )
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Regards,
Mikael