Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Christensen
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 19, 2010, at 3:12 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> David Christensen wrote:
>>
>> +                       if (MYSQL_HELP_CHECK("use"))
>> +                       {
>> +                               MYSQL_HELP_OUTPUT("\\c database");
>> +                       }
>>
> [snip]
>> +                       else if (MYSQL_HELP_CHECK("load data
>> infile"))
>> +                       {
>> +                               MYSQL_HELP_OUTPUT("\\copy");
>> +                       }
>>

> Quite apart from any considerations covered by other people, these
> two at least could be positively misleading ... the psql commands
> are not exact equivalents of the MySQL commands, AIUI.

The \copy could definitely be considered a stretch; I know \c supports
more options than the equivalent USE, but isn't it a proper superset
of functionality?

Regards,

David
--