Re: Bug? 8.0 does not use partial index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Palle Girgensohn
Subject Re: Bug? 8.0 does not use partial index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On fredag, januari 14, 2005 11.52.38 +1100 John Hansen
<john@geeknet.com.au> wrote:

>> > Dunno if you're desperate enough to try that ... but it does seem to
>> > work.
>
> if yo're going to hack anyway, then why not just simply tell the planner
> that you know better and that it should use the index, regardles of the
> stats collected?
>
> set enable_seqscan=false;
> <your original query here>;
> set enable_seqscan=true;

yeah, maybe I'll do that, but I stumbled on at least one more complicated
query that lost performance from disabling seq_scans. it had a union with a
query that gains performance from disabling seq_scans... heh...

Thanks for your time, guys! I now have some options to move on. I would
love to see this working better in a future version of postgresql, thought
;-)

Regards,
Palle