Re: how to write correctly this update ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: how to write correctly this update ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Don’t use the alias on the column(s) being set.
This passed the parser:
UPDATE  personnes T1 SET nom_naiss=T1.nom FROM  personnes T2, personnes T3
WHERE T1.id=T2.id_mere AND T2.id_pere=T3.id AND T1.nom != T3.nom;

(I have no data in my table so I can’t confirm the logic.  You seem to want to update mother’s maiden name if her
current(sur)name doesn’t match that of the father of (one of?) her children?  That might be a serious leap of faith.)