PGbouncer and batch vs real-time pools - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject PGbouncer and batch vs real-time pools
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

From reading the PGbouncer configuration man page, PGbouncer creates a new pool on every DB + user pair. If I have two
typesof queries, long-lived batch reporting and fast PK lookups, then I should favor two pools. Both pools can hit the
samedatabase server.

I can configure pgbouncer like this:

[databases]
batch = host=127.0.0.1 port=5432 user=batch dbname=app pool_size=M
quick = host=127.0.0.1 port=5432 user=quick dbname=app pool_size=N

I believe the important user is the one pgbouncer uses to connect to the real PostgreSQL server. That user + dbname is
whatcreates a new pool. The client's name (the one the app connects as) is irrelevant since I hard-code what user I
wantto use.

Did I read the configuration manual right? Any advice from people "familiar with the matter"?

Thanks!
François Beausoleil