Re: Determine if postgresql cluster running is primary or not - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: Determine if postgresql cluster running is primary or not
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi David,

> On 20. Nov, 2020, at 10:34, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Friday, November 20, 2020, Paul Förster <paul.foerster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 20. Nov, 2020, at 10:03, Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> >   select pg_is_in_recovery();
>
> I usually don't recommend using pg_is_in_recovery() only because a database cluster can be in recovery for other
reasons.This is why I always do the following:

> Do any of those other reasons allow connections that could execute that function to exist?

that always depends on what your application does. An application could still select a lot of things, maybe even
wronglyso, even if the cluster is in recovery mode.

That was my idea when writing this query and it's been working fine for years now.

Cheers,
Paul