Re: When to use postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jan Eden
Subject Re: When to use postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Ken,

On 04.01.2011, at 16:37, Man Lam wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Our company is looking into the possibility of using it.
>
> Firstly, we would like to find out what kind of applications are suitable for using postgreSQL. From the internet, it
seemslike it is good for web development. Is it true ? And how can it benefit by it ?
> And are there other types of application which postgreSql is performing better than the other dbs ?

I just switched three Django projects from MySQL to PostgreSQL mainly because of two resaons:

- licensing/development outlook (I don't like the direction MySQL takes under Oracle)
- enforced data integrity (I shot myself in the foot a couple of times with MySQL)

After the switch, I have not seen a performance difference (yet) compared to MySQL 5.1 (MyISAM), but I never cared to
optimizemy database server and MySQL promises to be a lot faster.

Kind regards,
Jan