Re: pg_restore cannot restore function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jie Liang
Subject Re: pg_restore cannot restore function
Date
List pgsql-sql
OK, we figured it out.
The problem is the documentation confused me!!!
In man page of pg_restore:
-P function-name
--function=function name      Specify a procedure or function to be restored.

User will assume that syntax of restoring a function is same as
restoring a table, but it's not true, it's slightly different.
To restore a table:
pg_restore -Rxt mytable -d mydb2 dbf
works, but to restore a function:
pg_restore -P myfunction -d mydb2 dbf
won't work, and you need to use:
pg_restore -P "\"myfunction\" (args and type)" -d mydb2 dbf
to make it work!!!!!

I believe that the man page of pg_restore should be improved.

Thanks.

Jie Liang