Re: Properly handle OOM death? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Israel Brewster
Subject Re: Properly handle OOM death?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Mar 13, 2023, at 11:42 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/13/23 15:18, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> The syslog specifically says "Memory cgroup out of memory”, if that means
>> something (this is my first exposure to cgroups, if you couldn’t
>> tell).
>
> I am not entirely sure, but without actually testing it I suspect that since memory.max = high (that is, the limit is
whateverthe host has available) the OOM kill is technically a cgroup OOM kill even though it is effectively a host
levelmemory pressure event.

That would make sense.

> Did you try setting "vm.overcommit_memory=2"?

Yeah:

root@novarupta:~# sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=2
sysctl: setting key "vm.overcommit_memory", ignoring: Read-only file system

I’m thinking I wound up with a container rather than a full VM after all - and as such, the best solution may be to
migrateto a full VM with some swap space available to avoid the issue in the first place. I’ll have to get in touch
withthe sys admin for that though.
---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer