Re: Working with huge amount of data. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Working with huge amount of data.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Mario Lopez wrote:

> Hi guys :-), I am working on a personal project in which I am
> trying to make sense on a huge (at least for me) amount of data. I
> have approximately 150 million rows of unique words (they are not
> exactly words it is just for explaining the situation).
>
> The table I am inserting this is a quite simple table, something
> like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE "public"."names" (
> "id" SERIAL,
> "name" VARCHAR(255)
> ) WITHOUT OIDS;
>
> It is a requirement that I can make searches on the varchar with
> queries that look the following way:
>
> SELECT * FROM names WHERE name LIKE ‘keyword%’
> Or
> SELECT * FROM names WHERE name LIKE ‘%keyword%’
>
> I optimized the first type of queries making partitions with every
> letter that a name can begin with:
>
> CREATE TABLE "public"."names_a" (
> CONSTRAINT "names_a_check" CHECK (("name")::text ~~ 'a%'::text)
> ) INHERITS ("public"."names")
> WITHOUT OIDS;
>
> The problem arises with the second type of queries, where there are
> no possible partitions and that the search keywords are not known,
> I have tried making indexes on the letter it ends with, or indexes
> that specify that it contains the letter specified but none of them
> work the planifier only make sequential scans over the table.
>
> For the moment the quickest scan I have being able to make is using
> grep!!, surprisingly enough grep searches on an average of 20
> seconds a whole plain text file of 2 GB one name per line and
> PostgreSQL on the fist type of queries takes like 50 seconds while
> the second type of queries con take up to two minutes which is
> completely unacceptable for an online search engine that has to
> attend a user querying this information.
>
> How does this big search engines let’s say Google make this up? I
> am amazed of the quickness on searching this amount of information
> in so little time. Any approach I could take? I am open minded so
> anything is acceptable not necessarily only PostgreSQL based
> solutions (although I would prefer it). By the way Textual Search
> in PostgreSQL is discarded because what I am looking at are not
> names that can be decomposed on lexems, let's say that this varchar
> is composed of random garbage.

Actually, a friend of mine actually did exactly what you've tried:
grep.  He had a cron job that would update the txt file from the
table's data every five minutes and then his app would shell out to
run those kinds of queries.  Of course, with a setup like that your
results can be a little out of date (the period between runs of the
cron job) but, if you can deal with that, that's actually a pretty
simple solution that doesn't take too much setup.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888