Re: How to increace nightly backup speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: How to increace nightly backup speed
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 27, 2006, at 18:13 , Andrus wrote:

> I need to create nightly backups to separate computer over internet
> from 8.1
> server
>
> I tried to run pg_dump to make backup using command
>
> "..\pg_dump\pg_dump.exe" -i -Z9 -b -v -f "C:\061127
> mybackup.backup" -F c -h
> 81.50.12.18 -U myuser -p 5431 mydb

Reducing compression (change -Z9 to something like -Z0) might help a
little, depending on the processing power of the server and available
bandwidth. If you really want compression, you could do the dump over
a SSH connection and gzip on the client end:

   $ ssh 81.50.12.18 "pg_dump -Z0 -Fc -ibv -U myuser mydb" | gzip -9
 >mybackup.backup

Alexander.