Re: UTF8 with BOM support in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UTF8 with BOM support in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm not sure if replacing a BOM by three spaces is a good way to
> implement "eating", because it might throw off a column indicator
> somewhere, say, but I couldn't reproduce a problem.  Note that the U
> +FEFF character is defined as *zero-width* non-breaking space.

So wouldn't it be better to remove the three bytes, rather than
replace with spaces?  The latter will certainly confuse clients that
think that "column 1" means what they think is the first character.
A syntax error in the first line of the file should be sufficient
to demonstrate the issue.