Re: session_replication_role meaning? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: session_replication_role meaning?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/30/18 02:48, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> now this should be trivial, but I cannot udnerstand what is the
> purpose of session_replication_role
> <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SESSION-REPLICATION-ROLE>
> or better, when I should use it in a way different from 'origin'.

The documentation was recently updated in the master branch, so maybe
you will find this explanation a bit more detailed:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-SESSION-REPLICATION-ROLE

> I've a logical replication setup and both master and client
> connections default to 'origin', so it has to be specified manually.

The global setting for an instance is not affected by whether you are
replicating.  The replication system is supposed to set the parameter
when it is applying changes, e.g.,

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c;h=eedc3a8816bc2f157e62a664bcc57b5f87530be9;hb=958fe549884928cd3bdf009993e9a05df5fd6cee#l1521