Re: RC2 and open issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RC2 and open issues
Date
Re: RC2 and open issues
List pgsql-hackers
> However, one thing you can say is that if block B hasn't been written to
> since you last checked, then any blocks older than that haven't been
> written to either.

[ itch... ]  Can you?  I don't recall exactly when a block gets pushed
up the ARC list during a ReadBuffer/WriteBuffer cycle, but at the very
least I'd have to say that this assumption is vulnerable to race
conditions.

Also, the cntxDirty mechanism allows a block to be dirtied without
changing the ARC state at all.  I am not very clear on whether Vadim
added that mechanism just for performance or because there were
fundamental deadlock issues without it; but in either case we'd have
to think long and hard about taking it out for the bgwriter's benefit.