Question about the enum type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Hart
Subject Question about the enum type
Date
Re: Question about the enum type
List pgsql-general
I was playing around with the enum type today. I was toying around with
a schema to model information about baseball, and decided to create an
enum named position:

tjhart=# create type position as enum('pitcher', 'catcher', 'first
base', 'second base', 'third base', 'short stop', 'left field', 'center
field', 'right field', 'designated hitter', 'pinch hitter');
CREATE TYPE

At first, I thought I had done something wrong:

tjhart=# select 'pitcher'::position;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "position"
LINE 1: select 'pitcher'::position;

It took a bit of fumbling and reading - and closer inspection of the
following before I determined what happened:

tjhart=# \dT+ public.*;
                     List of data types
  Schema |    Name    | Internal name | Size | Description
--------+------------+---------------+------+-------------
  public | "position" | position      | 4    |
(1 row)

tjhart=# select 'right field'::"position";
   position
-------------
  right field
(1 row)

tjhart=#

The example 'mood' enum in the documentation isn't quoted when it's
created.

I noticed that 'position' is a function, but I can create types with
the same name as other functions (abs), and the name isn't quoted. I
also tried creating an enum type with a reserved word:

tjhart=# create type select as enum('foo');
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "select"
LINE 1: create type select as enum('foo');
                     ^

I'm just toying around, so this isn't high priority. I'll probably
change the name of the enum to fielding_position for clarity's sake
anyway. But for my own education - what's so unique about the name
'position'?

Tim Hart