Re: pgAccess fails to launch on HPUX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgAccess fails to launch on HPUX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Does anyone object if I modify pgaccess so that it always specifies the
>> full path to the library?

> If I had known that this was possible I would have done it myself already.
> ;-)  This is a good idea in general because in a default installation
> pgaccess won't find libpgtcl on any system because it doesn't have the
> benefit of the -rpath/-R business.

Right, even with a cooperative Tcl+kernel, you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to make pgaccess work.  Perhaps this will fix that.  AFAICT, specifying
a full path in the Tcl 'load' command is legal on all systems.  However,
we still have to rely on the dynamic linker to do the right thing with
the indirect dependency on libpq.so, so there may be systems that still
need LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find libpq.so.

> Please review/remove the note at the
> end of the pgaccess ref page if you fix this to your satisfaction.

Thanks for the pointer, I probably wouldn't have noticed that.  But
given the above consideration, I'm not sure I want to remove the note
yet.

BTW, I'm also thinking about fixing pgaccess so that it honors the
--with-pgport configure setting and PGPORT environment variable, rather
than having the default port number 5432 hard-wired in.