Re: WIP: About CMake v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I guess I'm a bit skeptical about the idea of porting to a new build
> system.  There's a good chance of replacing the problems we know about
> with new problems that are no less serious, but merely unknown to us.
> But I'm not going to stand here and hold my breath if everyone else
> thinks it's a good idea.

FWIW, I'm also skeptical that this experiment will succeed.  I think it
is worth trying ... but I'm by no means promising to buy into the result.

There is precedent for this sort of thing: mysql converted from
autoconf+gmake to cmake a few years back, and AFAIK they've not
regretted it.  So that's a data point that a project of complexity
more or less similar to ours can make the change.

Where I do *not* want to end up is maintaining *three* build systems.
So I'll definitely resist any proposals to commit a partly-done cmake
conversion (which I fear might seem attractive at some point).