Re: start/stop a database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: start/stop a database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tanya,

On Jan 6, 2004, at 2:53 AM, tatyana.krasnokutsky@gsa.gov wrote:

> Now  I would like to stop my "tanya"  database and have "eps" database
> running.
> How can I do this?

You don't need to "stop" one database to have access to another one.
The postmaster controls access to all of the databases running in a
cluster. So you can have both "tanya" and "eps" going at the same time.

If you want to use the psql client to access a database, just specify
which database you want to connect to, e.g.,

psql tanya

That will bring you into psql connected to the "tanya" database. After
you're done with what you're doing in tanya, just quit psql using the
quit slash command

\q

And then start psql again to access the eps database, e.g.,

psql eps

Of course there are other ways to access the database (such as a PHP
script), and they can be used simultaneously. For example, you can
access eps using psql and tanya via a PHP script at the same time.

This is just the begining. Getting into all of the ways you can connect
to a PostgreSQL database cluster is more than I can do here. The
following link can give you an overview of how PostgreSQL works.

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/tutorial-arch.html>

Does this help?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com