Re: [GENERAL] 9.6 parameters messing up my 9.2 pg_dump/pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 9.6 parameters messing up my 9.2 pg_dump/pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/29/2017 12:05 AM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.  For me, using the 9.2 binary was the winner.
> Shoulda thought of that!
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us
> <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
>

>     Generally speaking, it helps a lot if you don't insist on restoring the
>     output in a single transaction.  In this case, that would allow the
>     restore to ignore the new parameters and move on.
>
>                              regards, tom lane
>

> Well sure, I can see it increases your chances of getting _something_
> restored.  But there's also a lot to be said for ensuring that _all_
> your data restored, and did so correctly, no?

If you are using -l to pg_restore then you are also doing
--exit-on-error. In the case you showed(ERROR:  unrecognized
configuration parameter "lock_timeout") that will not affect the data.
In fact in most cases that I have run across ERROR's are more
informational then data affecting.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com