Too short field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl Martin Skoldebrand
Subject Too short field
Date
Re: Too short field  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

We solved the problem of yesterday where I was looking at sequences. It eventually turned that sequence was irrelevant (at least in the PostgreSQL sense) to the problem.

Now, we have a bug in another application that prevents an automatic tool to enter certain users in the database. The organisational field is varchar(60) while the actual Organisation “abbreviation” may be as long as 70 characters (don’t ask why).

What happens to data if I simple redefine the table field as varchar(80) (or something, at least 70+). Does “everything” break database side or can I just go on running the app as is.

Do we need to restart databases or something else that requires an interrupted service?

Best regards,

Martin S

Disclaimer:  This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Tech Mahindra policy statement, you may review the policy at http://www.techmahindra.com/Disclaimer.html externally http://tim.techmahindra.com/tim/disclaimer.html internally within TechMahindra.