Re: BUG #3264: SPI: int64's sometimes returned by value sometimes by reference - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Adam Kunen
Subject Re: BUG #3264: SPI: int64's sometimes returned by value sometimes by reference
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Adam Kunen" <adam.kunen@gmail.com> writes:
> > I have noticed some discrepencies with 64-bit values in tuples.
> > For a given row with multiple int8's I have noticed sometimes the value
> will
> > be passed by value and sometime by reference.
>
> No, int8 datums are always passed by reference.  If you have a
> counterexample then let's see it.
>
> Whether they *could* be passed by value on some platforms is a
> different issue.  One of the reasons for having macros like
> DatumGetInt64 is to make such a thing transparent to source code
> when/if we get around to doing it.  IMHO, if your code assumes
> either convention explicitly then it's broken.
>
> A possible reading of your report is that you've failed to distinguish
> int4 and int8 datums in places ... but with so few details, it's
> impossible to be sure of that diagnosis.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Ah, you are right.  My apologies,  someone switched a serial8 to a serial on
me, and never let me know!

I didn't post my example because it would have been too long, instead I went
thru making a test case for you, only to find out what you already knew!

Thanks anyways,
sorry for wasting your time!

-Adam Kunen