BDR with Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Deole, Pushkar (Pushkar)
Subject BDR with Postgres
Date
Re: BDR with Postgres  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

I just tried a POC with PostgreSQL’s streaming replication for the use case of my product. Since streaming replication is master-slave, when failover occurs there are some configuration changes required to promote slave to master. Also, my requirement is to failback to old master again after the old master is started back (i.e. when old master is started back, it should become the master rather than the slave), which is bit tricky and is not straight forward to achieve without restarting any of the nodes.

I am also evaluating BDR which is asynchronous master-master replication. Since both nodes will be master, I don’t need to worry about promoting slave to master etc. However, I have a query regarding adding a new node to the BDR. Suppose I have a BDR setup done with 2 nodes (Node1 and Node2). Let’s assume node1 goes down. Node2 is up and running. I now add a new node say node3 and setup BDR with node2.

In this scenario…

1.       How does the initial data sync of node3 with node2 takes place?

2.       For node3 and replication data to/from node2, does node2 needs a restart or it is not required?

I would appreciate if you can give any information on this scenario as that would give me an understanding of BDR. I would be trying a POC soon however not able to find time since stuck up with another task at the moment.

Thanks a lot…

Pushkar