Asynchronous streaming replication in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-cluster-hackers

From Deole, Pushkar (Pushkar)
Subject Asynchronous streaming replication in postgresql
Date
Re: Asynchronous streaming replication in postgresql  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-cluster-hackers

Hi,

I am new to postgreSql and evaluating the streaming replication for my use case. My use case is:

1.       Need to replicate data from primary database (master) to secondary database (slave) asynchronously.

2.       If master goes down, the slave should automatically be promoted to master.

3.       Later, when the original primary server (original master) is brought up again, it should obtain back its master role and the new master should assume the slave again as it was with original setup.

For #1, the streaming replication of postgresql is good enough.

For #2, we need to create the trigger file in slave. This can be done manually. How can we do this automatically?

For #3, this seems to be quite complicated. Is this possible using streaming replication and if yes then how can this be achieved?

Your help is greatly appreciated in this regard.

Thank you very much..