Re: Postgres 7.1RC1 on Solaris 7 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres 7.1RC1 on Solaris 7
Date
List pgsql-general
> Ahmed Moustafa writes:
>> I downloaded Postgres 7.1RC1 from
>> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/postgresql-7.1RC1.tar.gz. When I did
>> ./configure, I got a error with the test program. I could not figure out
>> the problem. Would you take a look at the config.log
>> (http://www.photo.net/users/ahmed/config.log) and tell me the problem
>> is, please?

> In configure, line 6846, can you replace the 'return 0;' by 'exit(0);'?
> It's a long shot, but I don't see any other possibility.

I am suspicious that it's a library linking issue.  Unfortunately,
configure unhelpfully /dev/null's the stderr output obtained while
trying to execute the test program.  (Peter, shouldn't we suggest to
the autoconf boys that that output ought to go into config.log?)

Please try running the same test scenario by hand so we can see what is
printed:

echo "int main() { return 0; }"  >conftest.c
gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lz -lresolv -lgen -lnsl -lsocket -ldl -lm
./conftest

It might also be useful to see what "ldd conftest" produces.

            regards, tom lane