Re: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> That's what I meant by introducing pushing the case-insensitiveness
> into ODBC,

I don't believe ODBC parses the query carefully enough to recognize
operators that would need to be altered to become case-insensitive.
I'm not even sure that it could do that --- does "WHERE f1 = f2"
need to be changed to "WHERE lower(f1) = lower(f2)"?  No way to know
that unless you know the datatypes of f1 and f2, which would mean
(a) a moderately complete SQL parser/analyzer and (b) a copy of the
system catalogs inside ODBC.  Doesn't sound like a promising avenue
of attack...