Re: TIL: In pg_dump, beware the combo of "-Fd" and "-Z" - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TIL: In pg_dump, beware the combo of "-Fd" and "-Z"
Date
List pgsql-admin
Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> writes:
> On 1/19/21 10:54 PM, Adrian Ho wrote:
>> A quick look at the `pg_dump` source code indicates that:
>>
>> * `-Z` requires an argument, and
>>
>> * the argument is converted to an integer with the `atoi()` C function
>>
>> This means that `-Z` actually took `-v` as its argument, which `atoi()`
>> converts to integer 0. That explains what you saw, and I'm also guessing
>> you did NOT get verbose output from your second command.

> That's right.

Using atoi or siblings without any error checking is not unusual in our
programs (or lots of others, I imagine).  I recall some past discussion
of tightening up parsing of integer arguments to complain if they
didn't look like integers.  But evidently nobody's pushed that forward.

            regards, tom lane