Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date
Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> writes:
> So it seems to me that there is nothing to be gained using a 64-bit
> binary with the current or previous Pg releases. However, with the new
> cache replacement system being used in 7.5devel, the situation *may* be
> different (wonder if anyone has tried this out yet?).

Quite honestly, I suspect we may be wasting our time hacking the
Postgres buffer replacement algorithm at all.  There are a bunch of
reasons why the PG shared buffer arena should never be more than a
small fraction of physical RAM, and under those conditions the cache
replacement algorithm that will matter is the kernel's, not ours.

I stand ready to be proven wrong, of course ...

            regards, tom lane