Re: sub select as a data column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phong & Ronni Bounmixay
Subject Re: sub select as a data column
Date
List pgsql-general
You both are SO right!  I sent that off and tried a couple of things and realized I was close but not close enough.  I really appreciate the kind responses.  Sometimes it's so hard to ask a question without feeling so foolish and then feeling worse when the answers are sarcastic.  Thank you!

Good luck to you both!  You do such a good job in this group!
Ronni

Phong & Ronni Bounmixay <bounmixay@gmail.com> writes:
> I want to do in postgresql what I do in oracle:

> select year report_year,
>          sum(amount),
>          sum(select amount from my_table where year <= report_year)
> from my_table
> group by report_year;

That doesn't really work in Oracle does it?  It violates the SQL spec
in at least three ways.  Try something like

select year as report_year,
       sum(amount),
       sum((select amount from my_table b where b.year <= a.year))
from my_table a
group by year;

(which should work in Oracle too, or any other SQL-spec-compliant
database).  Note the extra parentheses ... they're not optional.

                        regards, tom lane