Re: modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: modules
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> IMO the core modules should be compiled via configure with something
>> like:
>> ./configure --enable-module=ALL

> If you really want to make the problems with using contrib modules go
> away, so they are a) installed even by lazy ISPs who just do
> compile/make/make install, and b) not viewed as second-class citizens when
> people have to ask them to be installed, this won't do it.

Indeed.  If anything, this will make the problem worse by increasing the
"perception gap" between contrib modules and modules that don't come
with the core distribution.

IMHO, the ideal situation would be that the only stuff in contrib is
stuff that needs to be maintained together with the core code --- an
example is pg_controldata, because it looks at data structures that
we change on a frequent basis.  We need to be looking for ways to
increase the status of stuff that doesn't come with the core distro,
not create an even stronger gap between the "ins" and the "outs".