Re: deadlock with vacuum full on 7.4.5 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: deadlock with vacuum full on 7.4.5
Date
Re: deadlock with vacuum full on 7.4.5  (jks@selectacast.net)
List pgsql-general
Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net> writes:
> Last night one of these vacuum fulls deadlocked with a query on this
> table.  Both were stuck doing nothing until I did a kill -INT on the
> backends doing the vacuum.

> So my questions:
> 1) What can I do to avoid this?
> 2) What do I do next time this happens to get more debugging info out of
> the situation?

Look in pg_locks and pg_stat_activity.

I think it is highly unlikely that there was a deadlock inside the
database.  Far more likely that both jobs were waiting on some
idle-in-transaction client whose transaction was holding a lock
on the table.

            regards, tom lane