Re: Invalid byte sequence errors on DB restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Samuel Smith
Subject Re: Invalid byte sequence errors on DB restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3/15/20 11:18 PM, Samuel Smith wrote:
> My current DB backup routine is just to call pg_dump and pipe to gzip.
> We recently started to get a failure to restore (which is basically just
> using psql -f on the pg_dump file) with the following errors:
>
> invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa0
>   and
> invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xd7 0x20
>

> This is on a pg 9.2.24 instance. Any tips to troubleshoot?
>
> Regards,
> Samuel Smith

Our issue actually turned out to be that a couple of our production
database had the encoding set to SQL_ASCII while all of our development
servers had UTF-8. This meant in some cases where we would restore a
production database into development (for testing or bug hunting), there
would be a failure to parse the backup file. A similar issue to this
blog post:
https://www.endpoint.com/blog/2017/07/21/postgres-migrating-sqlascii-to-utf-8

So our fix was to dump the affected production databases using the
LATIN1 encoding for pg_dump followed by destroying and recreating the
database and setting its new encoding to UTF-8. Then we could restore
the data using the pg_dump file with LATIN1 encoding.

Regards,
Samuel Smith