Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
Re: Quick Extensions Question
Re: Quick Extensions Question
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> You'd need to work out how the CREATE OR REPLACE and DROP cases would
>> work.

> Maybe the fever ain't gone far enough, but I'd just do nothing in the
> first case and internally cascade to the extension in the second case.
> In fact internally the drop case would be redirected on the extension
> and the dependencies would get rid of the PL, right?

Not sure it's that easy.  I think DROP LANGUAGE can't assume that the
language it's been told to drop is extension-ified.  (Even if we do this
for all the core ones, there are a dozen non-core ones that might not
all get with the program right away.)  How do we make this work in a way
that covers both cases, but doesn't turn DROP LANGUAGE into a security
hole that lets non-superusers drop random extensions?

It may all work pretty easily, but I'm still caffeine-deprived so I'm
not sure ...