Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On Monday, November 10, 2003 11:40:45 -0500 Neil Conway
<neilc@samurai.com> wrote:

>> Now, the disadvantages of large kernel cache, small PostgreSQL buffer
>> cache is that data has to be transfered to/from the kernel buffers, and
>> second, we can't control the kernel's cache replacement strategy, and
>> will probably not be able to in the near future, while we do control our
>> own buffer cache replacement strategy.
>
> The intent of the posix_fadvise() work is to at least provide a
> few hints about our I/O patterns to the kernel's buffer
> cache. Although only Linux supports it (right now), that should
> hopefully improve the status quo for a fairly significant portion of
> our user base.
>
> I'd be curious to see a comparison of the cost of transferring data
> from the kernel's buffers to the PG bufmgr.
You might also look at Veritas' advisory stuff.  If you want exact doc
pointers, I can provide them, but they are in the Filesystem section
of http://www.lerctr.org:8458/

LER