Re: initdb: failed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb: failed
Date
List pgsql-general
"Kathy Boyle" <KBoyle@nettec.com> writes:
> We are running Postgresql 7.4.7 on Redhat EL 4. Running /usr/bin/initdb
> command as user postgres fails before creating the views such as pg_user
> and pg_rules.

This is a known problem caused by SELinux security enforcement.  The
quick and dirty solution is to do setenforce 0, at least for long enough
to run initdb.  But I'd recommend updating to the most recent available
postgresql and selinux-policy-targeted RPMs, which should resolve the
issue properly.  (You may need to run restorecon on the /usr/bin and
/var/lib/pgsql trees after updating; I'm not sure that simply updating
the policy RPM will adjust the file security labels correctly.)

            regards, tom lane