Re: [HACKERS] FYI: git worktrees as replacement for "rsync the CVSROOT" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] FYI: git worktrees as replacement for "rsync the CVSROOT"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 02/24/2017 02:36 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> On 16 January 2017 at 05:01, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
>>> git worktree add ../9.6 REL9_6_STABLE

> Does this do anythng different from the git contrib script
> git-new-workdir that I have been using for quite a long while?

I think it's basically a more formally supported version of the contrib
script.  They may have fixed some of the hackier aspects of the contrib
script --- I mind in particular the fact that you need to disable git's
auto-gc activity when you use git-new-workdir, but I don't see any such
restriction in the git-worktree man page.

Haven't tried to switch over myself, but maybe I will at some point.